Words: Keyora Dixon & Lyssa Quallio
If by the off chance you missed the BET Awards in June, don’t worry, we’ve got the official highs and lows of what went down; who won what, and who literally FELL in front of the entire nation. Get your tea and biscuits ready. Sip Sip!
2. Gabrielle Union and Lebron Cox awarded “Best Actor” to Terrance Howard. “To the Empire!” he said as he accepted the award, while also thanking Lee Daniels and Daniel Strong. Howard gave a final a shoutout to Taraji P. Henson and his wife Mira.
3. Diggy Simmons announced his new movie, The Start Up. IMC Magazine can’t wait to see that one!
4. Songstress, Jonelle Monae performed her hit, “Yoga,” rocking an all black and white ensemble. Twitter fans raved about her amazing voice and sense of style! She even busted out an incredible moonwalk dance move, with undeniable flawlessness.
5. Morris Chestnut, Michael Ealy and Sanaa Lathan presented the “Best Female Hip Hop Artist” award to Nicki Minaj. She shared the honor with her mother whom she brought on stage to accept it with her. She then gave a special shoutout to Dej Loaf and went on to announce her Pink Print tour.
6. The cast of the BET hit series The Game came on stage for the announcement of the “Best Male Hip Hop Artist” award. Taking home this honor was none other than hip-hop prodigy, Kendrick Lamar, who was sincerely grateful while also making sure to thank his family and of course God.
7. Anxious for some more fashion excitement? Don’t worry we have to pay tribute to Lauren London for her choice in this sexy black dress.
8. Chris Brown performed “Liquor” and “Ayo” with special guests Tyga as well as Omarion who jumped on stage for the performance of “Post To Be.”
9. The Weekend took the stage rocking all black and of course sporting his very unique hair style. Alicia Keys surprised everyone by singing a verse in the bands hit song “Earned It.”
10. Anthony Anderson accepted “Best New Artist” award on behalf of absent singer Sam Smith!
11. An all-star performance celebrating the 20th anniversary of Puff Daddy’s Bad Boy Records was one of the many highlights at this year’s BET Awards. During the tribute to the iconic label, Diddy of Bad Boy Entertainment turned attendees ALL THE WAY UP donning his old school red leather ensemble while also recruiting a dozen of the label’s biggest draws, from Mase and Lil Kim to Jadakiss and French Montana, for a 10-minute mega performance that also paid tribute to the Notorious B.I.G. And that’s not all, Pharrell Williams also busted out during this attainment adding his tip-top rap melodies to the already incredible set.
12. Unfortunately for rapper Sean Diddy Combs, he’s now officially added to the list of onstage celebrity falls by tripping while stepping up on to stage to perform. Luckily, he recovered from it with utter finesse.
13. Smokey Robinson went on to accept the “Lifetime Achievement” award presented by Diddy. Black Twitter went crazy, see some of the top tweets below!
14. Terrance Howard introduced the cast of Fox Worldwide Hit Show “Empire.” Yazz, Jussie and Serayah also performed hit tracks, “No Apologies,” “Drip Drop” & “You’re So Beautiful.” Watch below!
15. Physically not so big, vocally of course he’s tremendously big, Rapper/Singer Big Sean set the stage by performing his track, “If One Man Can Change The World.” He celebrated his first albums FOUR year anniversary with banger “Blessed” and “IDFWU“ bringing out E-40.
16. Janet Jackson was praised by Ciara, Tinashe and Jason DeRulo as she accepted BET’s “Ultimate Icon” award.
17. K. Michelle and Tamar Braxton set aside their feud to serenade the crowd with two of their hit songs — plus, they were joined by Patti Labelle, who sang her absolute heart out before making an inspiring speech about gay rights!
18. Rihanna popularized a sneak peek of her new music video recorded for her hit track, “Bitch Better Have My Money.”
19. Remy Boyz artist, Fetty Wap got what seemed like all of the attendees singing along with excitement as he concluded the night with chart topper, “Trap Queen.”